More and more evidence shows self-directed learning is more effective at developing curious, engaged, well-rounded, happy humans with a lifelong love of learning, than traditional schooling methods.
In this video, Galileo teacher Kristen explains why she thinks self-directed learning is not only the best way to learn, it's the future of education itself.
The Benefits of Self-Directed Learning
At Galileo, our raison d’être is to radically change traditional education, to give students and their families the freedom to choose their own learning paths.
The core philosophy in our approach on how we see education is to help our students become independent, self-directed and self-organized learners. We designed all our programs to help our students achieve independence in their thinking and to inspire them to explore the skills we consider fundamentals for the future like entrepreneurship, technology or what it means to be a global citizen.
Whatever we do in our lives, we should put all of our passion into it. This is what we want to inspire in our students.
Curating The Best Learning Platforms
- Give students the necessary support to build habits to help them reach their individual goals.
- Meet high standards of instructional and academic excellence.
- Maximize time-flexibility to align with self-directed learning
- Update your schedule before daily check-ins
- Communicate with your facilitator/teacher/s if you have questions or need support
- Check Learning Network regularly
- Follow the absentee procedure if you cannot attend
- Notify a Galileo team member if you have any technical difficulties
- Always put forth your best effort to work towards your goals
- Bring an open mind to all activities
- Respect the opinions of others and use appropriate language only
- Be a good listener, team player and active participant during all activities
- Keep camera on at all times unless otherwise addressed
- Ensure the student has the necessary access to technology (computer recommended, iPad or tablet is okay, as well good Internet connection to support video calls)
- Notify Galileo of any special needs, extenuating circumstances, or technical difficulties
- Keep in touch with Galileo teachers and facilitators
- Check on your student's progress often
- Help create an environment free from distractions
- Support students by providing the structure and encouragement needed to build habits and routines for self-directed education
- Reserve concerns for after check-in and course meeting times; email the teacher or Kelly directly
Teachers and facilitators will...
- Mentor and support students during daily check-ins
- Respond to student inquiries within 24 hours (Monday-Friday)
- Contact students on Learning Network if they are absent without notice
- Contact parents by email if students are absent for more than 3 days without notice
- Create a safe and comfortable environment for students to express their opinions
- Allow students to equally communicate and participate during class time. Address 1-on-1 concerns outside of the group setting
- Provide course expectations and activities on Learning Network (Nanocourse and Clubs)
- Continually work to update and improve their teaching strategies
- Positively encourage students to build habits for self-directed learning
Photos and Videos
For Training Purposes
I give Galileo consent to take photographs or digital recordings of my child participating in Galileo activities, and use these in any and all media for training. I further consent that my identity may be revealed therein, or by description text or commentary in the technology we may use.
For Public Use Purposes
I give Galileo consent to take photographs or digital recordings of my child participating in Galileo activities, and use these in any promotional purposes, or any legitimate purposes. I further consent that my identity may be revealed therein, or by description text or commentary in the technology we may use.
Join the Free Learning Network
Join thousands of other families interested in self-directed learning, and get access to tons of resources for your children!
We are accepting new Galileo students every week, so your children don't have to wait until the next school year to start their personalized learning journeys.